[ale] DSL

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Jun 26 18:11:54 EDT 2001

Previously, Wandered Inn typed into the ether:
> aaron wrote:
> >
> > Previously, moisey.g.oysgelt at mail.sprint.com typed into the ether:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > > I've recently  got  ISDL line from EarthLink .
> > > This connection Uses winnows application  WinPoet
> > >
> > > Does anyone know what type of software  for Red Hat 7.0 I need to set
> > > for using this connection, and where I can download It.
> > >
> > >       Moisey Oysgelt
> >
> > ISDL I am unfamiliar with.
>
> It's an aberration, something along the lines of DSL over ISDN....
> About 1/2 has fast and 2x as expensive, but will work for longer
> distances.

Thanks for the education. So nice of them to use a dyslexic
hybrid acronym for it! %^P

Do you know if the interface hardware is still an external ethernet
connection?  If so, I would expect it would expect the software
interface to Linux would still be PPPoE. ( Noting this in addition to
just remembering the fact that *winPoet is a winblows PPPoE application
from Wind River Systems. :-)

> > A Roaring Penguin release of pppoe is included in the RH 7.0 & 7.1
> > distros and is probably already installed on your system.
> >  "man pppoe" for details
> >   Config is in "/etc/ppp/"
> >  various config/start/stop scripts are kept as "/usr/sbin/adsl-*"
> >
> > I found setting up pppoe for my Earthlink/Mindspring ADSL was really
> > quite easy using the supplied scripts.
> >
> > There may be some updates at Roaring Penguin and its worth checking
> > the site as suggested by another on the thread.
> >
> >  http://www.roaringpenguin.com
> >
> > There are also a couple of HOWTO docs for DSL/ADSL installation
> > if you have difficulties.
> >
> > And then there's also Scott Holben's web site with info on Secure ADSL
> > topics from the last ALE meeting :
> >
> > http://www.skaht.com/linux/adsl/
> >
> >   June 10  7:30PM
> >
> >      A discussion about how to add an extra Ethernet board to a
> >      Redhat 6.0 Linux box, getting the Roaring Penguin ADSL client
> >      to work with Mindspring/Earthlink, using IPchains with a deny
> >      everything policy while using VMWare and IP Masquerading,
> >      and maybe how to tweak IPchains and the RP ADSL client for
> >      IPSec clients.
> > aaron

> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Win the "w.i.n." accronym contest!
Entry # 15098 w.i.n.== "Worthless Interface Novelty"

peace
(after justice)
aaron