Commentary on telocity - was Re: [ale] pppoe and telocity DSL

Paul D. Manno paul at dblegl.atl.ga.us
Tue Jun 26 18:13:41 EDT 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Thompson Freeman wrote:

}On 26 Jun 2001, John Mills wrote:
}
}<snip>
}> The only way I've found to reconnect after (2) is to cycle power on
}> their modem. This is a nuisance because the modem and router live on
}> a shelf in the basement, and there is no way to recover access if I'm
}> not home.
}<<snip>>
}
}I'd like to chime in on your point 2). (thankyou). I also loose the link
}between the telocity modem thingy and the net and need to power cycle to
}regain contact. For me, and I haven't kept the data to be sure, it seems
}to happen after 30 + days of uptime. Also, it appears that access starts
}getting slower and slower as the connection gets ready to go down.
}
}As such, if somebody has an idea about how to monitor these two
}observations, I'd be interested in getting some sort of
}confirmation. Also, the obvious treatment would be to power cycle the
}blasted thing with a timer - crude but could be very effective.

Well... as a starter hack:

 while true; do
    traceroute IP_OF_PROVIDER_GATEWAY 2>&1 | grep "^ 2" >/dev/null
    result="$?"
    if test "$result" -ne 0; then
        if test "$state" = "up"; then
            echo DSL appears to be down at `date`
            state=down
        fi
    elif test "$result" -eq 0; then
        if test "$state" = "down"; then
            echo DSL appears to be back up at `date`
            state=up
        fi
    fi
    sleep 60