[ale] I am an idiot

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Jun 26 17:56:12 EDT 2001

> Chris Fowler wrote:
>
> #!/bin/ksh
> #
> STRING="hello|goodbye"
>
> VAR1=`echo $STRING | cut -d'\|' -f1`
> VAR2=`echo $STRING | cut -d'\|' -f2`
>
> #END

Noticed you used ksh, this might be a bit faster:
#!/bin/ksh

var="hello|world"

var1=${var#*\|}

var2=${var%\|*}

You could probably rid yourself of having to escape the delimiter if you
used something else.  That effort is left for your exercise. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein