[ale] pppoe and telocity DSL

John Mills john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 26 14:17:44 EDT 2001

Hi, Ken -

On Tue, 26 June 2001, Ken Nagorski wrote:

> yeah. I am a blockhead. I found in the manual about setting up LInux. says
> all I need is a dhcp client running on the Linux box... That's sweet if
>that is so.

If your Telocity link is the same as mine, you don't need DHCP, either, except perhaps to capture the link settings the first time. I got one static IP, and they sent the IPs for their nameservers and gateway. I pointed a LinkSys router at those, once I had gone through the initial activation procedure (with a box set for DHCP).

I have only three quibbles with Telocity:

1) They have occasional trouble keeping their nameservers on the air.

2) Three times (so far), their "gateway" (modem) has lost its link to their net.

The only way I've found to reconnect after (2) is to cycle power on their modem. This is a nuisance because the modem and router live on a shelf in the basement, and there is no way to recover access if I'm not home.

(3) With a few exceptions, I wouldn't use "technical", "support" and "Telocity" [well, "Directv DSL" now] in the same sentence. They are generally willing, but usually not 'empowered', I find.

Regards,
 John Mills