[ale] asus a7a266

SAngell at nan.net SAngell at nan.net
Tue Jun 26 09:56:24 EDT 2001

I just recently built a system with this same board and it is running like a
champ. The only problem I had was that I originally wanted to instally a 2940
with seagate barracudas but the scsi bios would not post. After the suggestion
of some people here I scrapped that idea and went with 30Gig ata100 7200 rpm
drives and this thing flies!! My setup is as follows:

ASUS a7a266
AMD 1.3Ghz
512M PC2100 DDR ram (256x2 Crucial.com has these for $56.00 I think)
Seagate ATA 100 7200rpm 30 Gig x3
VisionTek GeForce 3 64Meg Video
SoundBlaster Live Sound
52X Cd

One word of advice go ahead and get the best cooler you can find as this chip
runs hotter than anything I was used to. If you will not be moving your setup
around much I suggest this fan:

http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/1/220.htm?362
(I am running this fan and temps remain in the 110-120 degree range)

If you will be moving then go with:

http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/1/164.htm?362

I am dual booting this system between RH 7.1 and Windows 2000 (I know but I
still have my games to play!)

One other note, there are BIOS updates already available for this board check to
see if you need to flash or not.

Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA
MIS Operations Manager
TSYS Total Debt Management
Phone 770-409-5570
Fax      770-416-1752

|--------+-------------------------->
|        |          Armsby          |
|        |          John-G16665     |
|        |          <John.Armsby at mot|
|        |          orola.com>      |
|        |                          |
|        |          06/26/01 09:26  |
|        |          AM              |
|        |                          |
|--------+-------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     "'ale at ale.org'" <ale at ale.org>            |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Steve Angell/tdm)                  |
  |       Subject:     [ale] asus a7a266                   |

My pc finally gave up the ghost.  The ASUS A7A266 motherboard has been
recommended but I hear there are/have been "issues" with Linux.  Does anyone
have any experience with this board?  I am checking the compatibility lists but
would appreciate some personal experience.

Thanks,

John

Title: asus a7a266