[ale] Probably a stupid Oracle question.

Josh Freeman josh.freeman at arch.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 25 12:14:46 EDT 2001

Many thanks to those that responded to my previous Oracle question. I
was able to get Oracle 8.1.7 to install pretty effortlessly on SuSE 7.0.
Now I have one hopefully trivial question and I will be off to the races.

when I try to work in svrmgrl, I  get this error:

SVRMGR> connect system
Password:
ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress
SVRMGR>
SVRMGR>
SVRMGR>
SVRMGR> shutdown
ORA-01012: not logged on
SVRMGR> connect internal
Connected.
SVRMGR> shutdown
ORA-01507: database not mounted
ORACLE instance shut down.
SVRMGR> startup
ORACLE instance started.
Total System Global Area                         72704160 bytes
Fixed Size                                          73888 bytes
Variable Size                                    55681024 bytes
Database Buffers                                 16777216 bytes
Redo Buffers                                       172032 bytes
ORA-01102: cannot mount database in EXCLUSIVE mode
SVRMGR>

What have  I  done wrong?

Thanks.

--