[ale] Cybernet's NetMAX Professional Suite

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Sun Jun 24 17:12:10 EDT 2001

sServer 2.3 was the last version I installed. I'm not sure if there's a
2.4 "server specific" version out yet. Email alerts to report attempted
intrusions are pretty simple with snort...or for that matter, a perl
script to parse the normal firewall logs. I'm not a Caldera salesman, but
from my experience...it has the lowest administrative overhead in a true
production environment. I'm speaking strictly regarding "out of the box"
installs here. It's pre-configured with webmin (yes, I know it's not the
only distro that is) so it fits well into an environment where Linux
experience isn't prevalent. It also plays well in a Netware environment
"out of the box". AFAIK, it IS the only mainstream distro that does. I've
installed it on a variety of machines (Gateway Desktops, Dell Poweredge,
Various notebooks, HP Netserver LH pro, Compaq ProLiant, and several
others) with absolutely NO "gotchas". It's security is a little better
"out of the box" than others...but is still pathetic by my standards.
Overall, for a file/print or web/mail server it works pretty well.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security