[ale] Calling All AIX Experts

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sat Jun 23 03:26:49 EDT 2001

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Denny Chambers wrote:

> Anyone know how to make a bootable image on AIX 4.3 that I can put on a
> bootp server?

bosboot is the command for that; I think you want

bosboot -ad /dev/ent0 -M both

(-a for complete image, -d /dev/ent0 to tell it the boot device is ethernet
0, -M both so you can boot both normal and service)

If you're wanting to use the image for doing network installs of the
machines you boot, then it's more complicated and you need to look into NIM
(AIX equivalent of Solaris JumpStart / Red Hat KickStart products)

Note that some models of RS 6K support network boot for install only, so
depending on what you're wanting this for, it may or may not even be
possible

later,
chris

--