[ale] Samba log buildup - bye bye free HDD space ;)

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Thu Jun 21 16:30:07 EDT 2001

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> available, and is the main storage machine for the network.  Anyways,
> there are a few hundred samba.* files in /var/log, such as samba.bob,
> samba.vhserver, samba.lab4, samba.lab10, samba.bob_s\ laptop,
> samba.athlon, etc. etc. in addition to the 5 or 6 local machine names
> that I recognize.
> My guess would be that these are people running windows who are
> inadvertantly sharing everything they've got over the internet (gotta
> love it), but it doesn't seem good to me that they are able to connect
> to this machine.

Actually, these are people that are using windows networking and trying to
connect to your machine.  I work at a college with 4000+ students with
notebooks.  I have quite a large directory of those sorta files!  They may
or may not be sharing files on their system out, but they are probably
just browsing the network neighboorhood and clicking to see what they can
see.   You'd be amazed at what you can find sometimes doing that!

	-Dan