[ale] Samba log buildup - bye bye free HDD space ;)

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Jun 21 08:09:40 EDT 2001

> Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
>
> Well this is interesting...
>
> I just telnetted into a machine downtown that I set up as the NAT
> machine for a local network and found something odd.
>
> I set up Samba some time ago, as it is also has Windows shares

SNIP

> How would I go about blocking these, or does this mean something else
> entirely?

I was thought that was the purpose of the 'hosts allow' option in the
smb.conf file.

An excerpt from the comment that came in my smb.conf:

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein