[ale] Samba log buildup - bye bye free HDD space ;)

Casey Allen Shobe cshobe at softhome.net
Thu Jun 21 03:42:34 EDT 2001

Well this is interesting...

I just telnetted into a machine downtown that I set
up as the NAT machine for a local network and found something odd.

I set up Samba some time ago, as it is also has
Windows shares available, and is the main storage machine for the network.
Anyways, there are a few hundred samba.* files in /var/log, such as samba.bob,
samba.vhserver, samba.lab4, samba.lab10, samba.bob_s\ laptop, samba.athlon, etc.
etc. in addition to the 5 or 6 local machine names that I
recognize.

It's constantly connected to Bellsouth DSL, which
is apparently where these are coming in from.  All of the log files seem to
be identical except the timestamp, and look like this:

/var/log/samba.lab4:

[2001/03/06 21:41:25, 0]
smbd/service.c:make_connection(214)  lab4 (216.198.10.54) couldn't find
service c[2001/03/06 21:41:25, 0]
smbd/service.c:make_connection(214)  lab4 (216.198.10.54) couldn't find
service c

/var/log/samba.notebook:
[2001/04/18 22:27:36, 0]
smbd/service.c:make_connection(214)  notebook (66.24.207.69) couldn't
find service c[2001/04/18 22:27:36, 0]
smbd/service.c:make_connection(214)  notebook (66.24.207.69) couldn't
find service c
My guess would be that these are people running windows who are
inadvertantly sharing everything they've got over the internet (gotta love it),
but it doesn't seem good to me that they are able to connect to this
machine.

How would I go about blocking these, or does this mean something else
entirely?

Thanks,

- Casey Allen Shobe