[ale] Proxy Servers and Firewalls

Leonard Thornton leonard at intelis-inc.net
Wed Jun 20 22:04:50 EDT 2001

My understanding of proxies and firewalls is that they are for two separate
purposes.

A firewall protects your internal network from access by individuals on the
external network by filtering, translating and redirecting each packet passing
through it.

A proxy is a connection point for people on your internal network to connect to
to access common functions on the external LAN. (i.e. Web proxy).

The firewall mainly limits traffic entering your network.  The proxy limits the
access of people in your network to the outside world.  Therefore, you would
use the firewall to protect your internal network from evil hacks out in the
real world, while you would use a proxy to keep your own people from going
places or doing things from your internal network to the outside.  A well
balanced network is usually some combination of the two.

My humble understanding of the subject.......YMMV

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I know that proxy servers and firewalls (with or without NAT) are common
> means of connecting a LAN to the Internet.  I seek a cross-platform take
> on which to use under what circumstances.  Specifically, under what
> circumstances is it highly desireable to use a proxy server instead of a
> firewall, and under what circumstances is it highly UNdesireable?
>
> - Jeff
The difficult while you wait ... The impossible overnight ...

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc
leonard at intelis-inc.net