[ale] Virtual Email Question

Alan Hightower alan at compgen.com
Wed Jun 20 14:41:54 EDT 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 Eric_Brubakken at aoncons.com wrote:

> I think I have figured out what I need to do for virtual hosting using
> Apache, so that I can host more than one domain name.  But is there
> anyway to do 'virtual email' so a user could have more than one domain
> email address?

Well I've only done it with sendmail, and here's how:

Most Linux distributions come with a sendmail configuration that has the
virtual user table feature enabled.   Check for a line similar to:

Kvirtuser hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable

in sendmail.cf.  Add two column lines simliar to the following to the
listed file:

joe at virtual.domain	joe at real.domain
fred at virtual.domain	fred

where joe will be aliases to an alternate address and fred will be
delivered locally via procmail.  There is usually a make file in the same
path that will rebuild the database from the ASCII text file whether it be
hashed, dbm, etc.

You also need to add each of the virtual domains to sendmail.cw and send
it a HUP.

You can find more information at:

http://www.sendmail.org/virtual-hosting.html

Hope this helps.