[ale] MP3 Players

Casey Allen Shobe cshobe at softhome.net
Wed Jun 20 13:48:38 EDT 2001

> I think you are overstating it.  WMP in XP will offer crippled MP3
> recording.  Playback will be unaffected.  There are even some decent
> reasons for that.  Fraunhofer charges a lot more for recording
> technology than for playback.  MS can offer the crippled recording for
> cheap.  Of course, they might have been able to work something out if
> they had really wanted to.

Considering how many free and opensource mp3 encoders there are out there,
I'm quite certain M$ could have come up with something in their usual manner
of ripping somebody else off.  They might have even found one under a
nonrestrictive enough license that they could have just used it without
modification.  But M$ has NEVER done what is best for the consumer, which is
why it's funny that many consider them the ONLY solution.  Methinks M$
thinks only for itself when it's designing it's products.

- Casey Allen Shobe