[ale] MP3 Players

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Jun 19 15:07:30 EDT 2001

Previously, Douglas Bridges typed into the ether:
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice small MP3 player that works with
> Linux? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, and I would like something
> that I can wear while riding the train and while working out.

I was recently looking into MP3 players as a B-day gift for my
daughter, so I have a few notes I can share:

I found that decent, dedicated memory based units are still a bit on
the expensive side -- running $180 to $280. I also looked for Linux DL
support on a few of the lower priced or better rated units and had zero
success, despite the fact that all of the units download over standard
USB, Parallel or Serial interfaces. (All Manufacturers got a request for
Linux support, of course... along with a reminder that Micro$haft now
intentionally cripples the MP3 facilities in all of their bundled and
downloadable media players).

I did run accross a growing number of portable audio CD players with
built in MP3 support in a more affordable $90 to $150 range. If the
"moving parts" aren't a problem, this could be an attactive option for
Linux users with CD-R capability.

peace
(after justice)
aaron

BTW: The Bday girl ended up getting a plain old audio CD player for
this year, replacing last year's worn out model. Portable CD units have
almost become disposable items these days and can commonly be found
for $35 or less. Price for the MP3 versions and memory players is bound
to come down, though I thought it would happen a little faster than
this.