[ale] Single Sign-on and Linux

Casey Allen Shobe cshobe at softhome.net
Tue Jun 19 14:14:50 EDT 2001

> What solution do y'all use for single-sign-on?  Is it worth the effort to
> try and master NDS and tell clients to organize the infrastructure around
> it, and if so is it possible for all of the services to authenticate
against
> it (even indirectly -- maybe use a script to recreate a passwd file every
20
> minutes)?

I'm also curious about this one.  With the exception of dumb terminals and a
scary LDAP setup once that I didn't really understand in the slightest, I
haven't done this with unix.  However, at a friend's location downtown, we
have about 10 computers which we keep identical copies of /etc/passwd on.

I like the idea of a single authentication server...

I also would like to be able to login without it (in the event of a computer
being off the network).

Thanks,

- Casey Allen Shobe