[ale] REBOL Demo at Innovox

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sun Jun 17 14:10:07 EDT 2001

Hey all!

As I mentioned at the start of this month's ALE meeting, Amiga Atlanta
is arranging an informal demo of REBOL. My generic REBOL synopsis is
that it is somewhat like a PERL or PYTHON, only much more extensive,
Object Oreiented, fully distributed and without as many obfuscating
syntax problems. Unfortunately, that synopsis only scratches the
surface. I hope a look at the REBOL info and links below show that this
event could be of interest to many Linux Enthusiasts and internet
professionals and that we'll see a few faces from ALE there.

DATE: Saturday, June 30
TIME: 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
PLACE: Innovox Lounge
       699 Ponce de Leon Avenue, Suite 1
       Atlanta, GA 30308
       404-872-4482

DIRECTIONS & MAP AT:
       http://www.innovoxlounge.com/location-maps-directions.html

----------------------
More About the Event:

   Why Amiga Atlanta? Well... REBOL is the latest creation and venture
of Carl Sassenrath, who left Hewlett Packard to design and write the
Amiga's "Exec OS" Operating System back around 1983. For those
unfamiliar, Amiga Exec OS is a multitasking, multi- threaded,
multi-processor, object oriented & message based OS that can function
with as little as 256K of memory. With it's release in 1985, I think
most would agree that Amiga and its Exec OS were more that a little bit
ahead of their time. ;-)
    The presenter will be David Crawford, a web designer, Amiga fan
and REBOL developer from Birmingham. There is a possiblity that we will
also arrange for Carl to join us on line from the coast for a little
live, chat based Q&A as part of the program.

------------------
More About REBOL:

>From the web page intro --

 REBOL is a platform for distributed Internet applications.
 Think of it as an operating system that combines the processing,
 storage, and communication resources of the Internet into a
 single, unified model of distributed computing. REBOL enables a
 new era of shared, collaborative, and interactive network
 applications that are low-cost, quick-to-create, and run
 everywhere.

While Carl Sassenrath's planning for REBOL goes back more than a
decade, the REBOL Technologies company itself is about 4 years old. The
technologies primary component, REBOL Core, is currently available for
30 platforms, including AIX, HP-UX, Linux and Amiga. Issues like
client GUI and Legacy Software compatibility are addressed by additional
components --

 REBOL is very flexible. It includes 14 standard Internet protocols
 built-in. REBOL/View/Pro can open libraries, applications, and
 services written in other languages. REBOL/Command can access
 Oracle and other databases [eg. mySQL] directly or through ODBC.
 REBOL/Core includes extensions to make CGI processing easy. To display
 web pages, REBOL can launch your default web browser.

Though not open source or GNU license software, the business model is
built primarily on freely distributable components, and license fees
are mostly reserved for developers creating proprietary or platform
specific applications --

 The non-commercial use and redistribution of REBOL/View is free, and
 programs and data written in REBOL can be freely distributed.

 However, if you want to use REBOL commercially, if you want to hide
 your program source, or if you want to create applications that are
 specific to a particular system platform (not transportable), then you
 will need to purchase those capabilities and licenses from REBOL
 Technologies.

For additional information, free component downloads and REBOL demos
(like the 6K Instant Messenger), please see--

 Official REBOL Technologies site:  http://www.REBOL.com
 Associated REBOL Developer site:       http://www.REBOL.org

peace
(after justice)