[ale] good linux

Darin Lang darin at doolang.com
Fri Jun 15 19:27:31 EDT 2001

on 6/15/01 9:11 AM, Trey Darley at tdarley at net-hopper.com wrote:

> I've been with slackware since the beginning of my linux period
> and apart from a a brief and torid affair with OpenBSD, I've found it to
> be the most satisfying distribution available.

Slackware is only for people who know exactly what they are doing and don't
want a simple installation that just works. I originally bought slacware 7.1
because it claimed to be oh so superior. It took me over a month of
installing reinstalling, recompinling the kernel,  and endless configuring
to get a system that ran, but no sound, no printing except simple text, X
windows distorted and monitor hummed, and more. Then I tried Red Hat 6.2
which didn't work much better and proved to be just a difficult to configure
so I switched back to Slackware, but when I tried Mandrake 8.0, everything
installed and ran automatically I didn't have to configure anything except
Appletalk which was a piece of cake, and I had a usable system with
printing, and X windows was perfectly setup.

Darin

--
WIN A TRILLION: $1,000,000,000,000.00 at MoonBughead.com
http://MoonBughead.com/contest/