[ale] good linux

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Jun 15 10:54:58 EDT 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Stephen Turner wrote:

> what linux distro do you reccomend and why?
<<snip>>

Depends an awful lot on the individual, as I suspect all the current major
distributions are pretty solid operations. I've used _mostly_ Red Hat
distro's on intel, alpha, and ppc platforms over the years. The iBook is
currently running SuSE, after I got snarled up in Yellow Dog. I've used an
early Caldera, Debian, Slackware generally with success.

As such, my _personal_ choice is Red Hat out of habit more than anything
else. For the compulsive tweaker, Debian? perhaps? For the experienced
obsesive tweaker definitely Slackware. For a more "set and
forget" individual, an rpm based distribution, although my very limited
experience with Debian says that should be a solid choice also.

Hope this helps.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net