[ale] good linux

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Jun 15 08:18:27 EDT 2001

SAngell at nan.net wrote:

> Man, this ought to get some great debate. You sir will probably be more confused
> after the answers start rolling in than you were when you decided you needed to
> ask the question.
>
> To be frank, that is one of the great attributes of Linux! There is no "right
> choice"! It depends on you. Your tastes, your needs, and what "personality" you
> want to build into your setup. Personally I think for beginners, and I am not
> far removed from that label,  one of the packaged distributions such as RedHat,
> Caldera, SuSE, BeOS,

Is this a typo, or did I miss the fact that BeOS has a Linux dist?

Other than that, I'd say for a beginner, definitely go with a packaged
dist.  Rolling your own will be too frustrating at that point.

Also, Vernard noted that SuSE 'just works' and I would concur.  If
you're looking for a dist that you can just install and get going, SuSE
definitely is a contender.  My problem with SuSE was that I couldn't pop
up to rpmfind and install the latest greatest stuff.  I had to find the
SuSE version, and generally, they (SuSE) were behind most of the other
dists.  I understand that you can use the SuSE install tool (forgot the
name) to install other dist. rpms, but I never could figure that one
out.  Then again, I'm impatient (as most on the list have already
figured out).

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein