[ale] good linux

SAngell at nan.net SAngell at nan.net
Fri Jun 15 07:42:25 EDT 2001

Man, this ought to get some great debate. You sir will probably be more confused
after the answers start rolling in than you were when you decided you needed to
ask the question.

To be frank, that is one of the great attributes of Linux! There is no "right
choice"! It depends on you. Your tastes, your needs, and what "personality" you
want to build into your setup. Personally I think for beginners, and I am not
far removed from that label,  one of the packaged distributions such as RedHat,
Caldera, SuSE, BeOS, Storm and many more, would be far less discouraging than
starting a system from scratch, which is what I am currently trying for the
first time. I have had great success with Redhat. I think it as well as Caldera
Open Linux are two of the easiest to install and present the fewest problems.
There will be arguments to contradict this statement I am sure; however, from my
experience they will work flawlessly with the average PC. There are also
specialized distributions such as "coyote" that fill a specific need, but I
don't even pretend to understand a lot about those packages.

Weigh these words with and against the other replies you will receive today and
make your choice. Regardless of your decision I think you will be pleased.

Good luck,

Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA
MIS Operations Manager
TSYS Total Debt Management
Phone 770-409-5570
Fax      770-416-1752

|--------+------------------------>
|        |          Stephen Turner|
|        |          <artic_knight@|
|        |          yahoo.com>    |
|        |                        |
|        |          06/15/01 03:54|
|        |          AM            |
  |       To:     ale at ale.org                              |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Steve Angell/tdm)                  |
  |       Subject:     [ale] good linux                    |

what linux distro do you reccomend and why?