[ale] CPIO!

James CE Johnson jcej at tragus.org
Fri Jun 15 07:19:48 EDT 2001

Dow Hurst wrote:

>Why not alias "txj" to 'tar xf - | bzip2' and use that?  Just do the
>alias in /etc/profile or /etc/cshrc so all your shells inherit it.

Can a bzip2 archive recover from corruption somewhere in the middle?
 I'm pretty sure gzip can't.  I suppose if it does a block-wise
compression where each block is independent of the preceeding blocks
then you could recover.

The only point I was trying to make is that if you compress your entire
archive and your decompressor can't recover if there is mid-stream
corruption then your entire archive is lost.  If you compress each file
individually and your archiver can recover from mid-stream corruption
then you only loose those files "under" the corruption.

Someone made an earlier comment about the history of tar vs cpio.  I
just ran across this in the tar info page:

     If anyone knows why `cpio' was made when `tar' was present at the
     unix scene,

   It wasn't.  `cpio' first showed up in PWB/UNIX 1.0; no
generally-available version of UNIX had `tar' at the time.  I don't
know whether any version that was generally available _within AT&T_ had
`tar', or, if so, whether the people within AT&T who did `cpio' knew
about it.

   On restore, if there is a corruption on a tape `tar' will stop at
that point, while `cpio' will skip over it and try to restore the rest
of the files.