[ale] CPIO!

James CE Johnson jcej at tragus.org
Thu Jun 14 16:54:52 EDT 2001

Transam at cavu.com wrote:

>Unless you have a REAL good reason to use the stillborn cpio, use GNU tar!

I prefer tar for any disk-bound archive but if I'm headed to tape I
still prefer afio.  A compressed tarball is unrecoverable if you get
bitrot somewhere in the middle.  Because afio compresses each file
individually you can recover from mid-stream failures.

Now if someone would fix tar such that 'tar xz' is something other than
'tar xf - | gzip', that would be great.