[ale] ethernet switch issues

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Jun 13 14:22:16 EDT 2001

Ned Williams wrote:

> What kind of collision rates do you have on your interfaces?

None, there is no communication.  For example, if I attempt to telnet,
I'll see the link activity led blink on both ends, but no collisions no
communication.

> A common issue with
> 100Mb switches is auto speed/duplex negotiation. Are you working at 10 or 100
> megabit?Half or full duplex?

Both cards have leds which indicate they are at 100/full duplex.  The
switch also indicates that both cards are at 100/full duplex.

> A common problem can arrise with 100Mb/Full duplex
> switches when the nic in the sever/pc is not auto sensing the proper duplex. Also
> is your switch manageable?(does it support snmp polling?) I dont think the
> netgears are, so your best bet is to watch your ifconfig on your pc/server.

You are correct in that the switchs don't support snmp.  What exactly do
you mean by 'watch your ifconfig?'  Watch Ifconfig for collisions?
There's no data transfer at all.

> you are using belkin I doubt the cables are your problem.

I doubted it as well, but replaced them just the same, with no
difference.

> Force your nic to
> 10mb/half duplex and see if you still have problems,

How is this done??

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein