[ale] install on a maxtor ata/100/20 gig disk

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Wed Jun 13 12:57:44 EDT 2001

I finally said "uncle" on the recompile the kernel idea.  I then went to the Mandrake home page, downloaded the 8.0 iso image ( about 240 meg) and burned a CD.  Yes, I am on a T1 line.  I had problems trying to download their SRPM iso, so I ended up downloading it from the Ga. Tech. mirror site and burning a CD.  NOT that I have an obsessive compulsive disorder BUT, I also downloaded the install iso CD from Ga. Tech  ( about 210 meg).  mmmmmm

All downloads completed normally, no time outs, etc.  When I burned the CDs, I view of the "properties" of the CD reveal the same number of bytes on both installation disks.... mmmmmm.....

When I started to install mandrake, mandrake was able to "see" my ATA attached disk (hde1).... hooray!  Both installations bombed out, complaining that part of the installation package was missing (from the CD).

I have two questions

1.  Is the size of the iso image which is downloaded unrelated to the byte size of the installation CD advertised on the mirror sites?

2.  Given that an iso image is a form of "zip", has anyone burned an image and found it to be "short"?  I burned the CD using ADAPTEC easy CD creator, selecting the disk image (iso) option.  Seemed to work fine.

John