[ale] ethernet switch issues

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Jun 13 12:10:39 EDT 2001

I've replaced the sohoware switch with a netgear switch and I still
can't get this thing to work.  Netgear support told me it was my cables,
that 100baset can have problems with cheap cables.  I was using Belkin
cables, which I believe are pretty decent.  I've since made two very
short cat 5 cables and tried these, but still no luck.

Anyone else had any such problems?  I'm now suspecting it's probably one
of the cards I'm using that is not functioning properly at 100baseT,
although both have leds indicating they are properly autosensing the
proper speed.

I can't believe it's this difficult to get these things to work.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein