[ale] install on a maxtor ata/100/20 gig disk

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Mon Jun 11 09:10:39 EDT 2001

Let me get this straight....

1.  Recompile the kernel.....

You can fix this by building a custom kernel, when in menuconfig choose
  "ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support"  then
     "IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices"
        look under the "IDE chipset support/bugfixes" section
        choose "Boot off-board chipsets first support"

Complile and when you boot of the custom kernel the name the disk
on the add-in card will be /dev/hda[1234]

2.  If I can "see" the disk, then copy a bootable image to that disk.

3.  Go to Boot Magic, and add it as a menu option.

4.  Crank up the other disk from a boot up,..... If linux works, I can then do what I want.  I plan to install taper, and restore my linux from disk 1 to my now bootable disk2.

Right?????

John