[ale] install on a maxtor ata/100/20 gig disk

Marc marct at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 11 02:17:34 EDT 2001

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> That's not a nasty habit.  The fact that linux is not limited by the BIOS
> has been quite helpful many many times.  For example, on old systems that
> have hard drive size limitations, Linux is not affected...  Lack of this
> "nasty habit" results in an operating system like Windows, where if your
> bios supports 500mb or 8gb, that's all you can use.

	Actually it is.  Try maintaining/upgrading 100's of machines
	in the field, life would be better if "DISABLED" options were
	respected. You don't have to live within the limitations of the
	BIOS to respect on/off settings.  I have seen hundred of hours
	working around problems of conflicting onboard controlers after
	upgrades.

	I am anything but a friend of microsoft, but just as Linux
	works around BIOS limitations thru good device driver code
	so does windows...  Maxtor, Segate, etc ship enhanced drivers
	with their drives.

	--marct
	marct at mindsrpring.com