[ale] Newbie, Needs network card help

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 11 01:23:01 EDT 2001

Jeb W Barger wrote:

> Hey all, I am trying to startup Mandrake 7.2 on my
> workstation.  However, when I setup up the local
> network using the wizard, it takes all the settings
> but it doesn't work.  The settings are correct, I am
> assigning an address (192.168.0.009, which is not
> being assigned by my win2k dhcp server), my
> router/gateway works (192.168.0.001)..However the DNS
> setting my not be good, I am using 205.152.0.5
> (Bellsouth's DNS server) should I try something else
> here?   The other thing that I notice was that
> Mandrake detects my netgear fa310tx as a Lite-on
> Communications Inc LNE100TX.  Is this right?  Any
> suggestions?

Yes, recent FA310s use the Lite-on chip. I had three
of them, all subsequently replaced with DLink 530s
due to the onset of general flakiness. They worked
well for quite a while, though - two, three years.

What does "it doesn't work" mean? What does "ifconfig"
tell you? What does "route -n" tell you? Post the output
of those commands, and maybe we can help you out
some more.

HTH,

-- Joe

-- Joseph A. Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *