[ale] install on a maxtor ata/100/20 gig disk

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Jun 10 13:33:26 EDT 2001

RedHat 6.1 can't see an ATA100 disk. It needs a much newer kernel. 6.2
with the 2.2.18 kernel is the best bet short of the RedHat 7.1.

Also, the ata100 card may still be a problem. It will depend on the
chipset used. It wont show up as hda,b,c,d. It will show as hde (first
drive, 3rd controller). If the card requires a windows software driver to
be accessable, it will probably not work at all under Linux.

I've had good luck with on-board ata100 controllers but not add-on PCI
cards.