[ale] Automation

SAngell at nan.net SAngell at nan.net
Wed Jun 6 08:47:13 EDT 2001

Good Morning, I have another question for you Linux gurus. I have a Linux box at
home that I want to use as a game server amoung other things. and I want to kick
off the game server on boot and run as a system application. The command string
to start the actual server can be built, written to a script and made
executable. I have tested that, however; I don't know where to add the script to
have it start as a process. 2nd Problem: before that is command is run there is
the following command which must run first:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/dir/otherdir/this_dir:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
I tried to create an executable script with this command as well but it wouldn't
work. I am not sure why as I truthfully have no idea what this command does. I
assume it is building some type of path for the process to locate files as
needed due to the errors I get if this process is not executed or is executed
improperly. Can anyone tell me why this command can not be placed into a script
and then executed.

Both scripts were made executable by chmod 777.

Is there a way to do this? I know if there is you guys can tell me.

Please keep in mind that I know just enough about Linux to be dangerous, to my
own equipment, that is!

Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA
MIS Operations Manager
TSYS Total Debt Management