[ale] Dumb terminals, utmp/wtmp

Sergio Chaves sergio_chavess at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 6 08:36:25 EDT 2001

Greetings everybody.
Thanks for all the help with my "Laptop Blues". X is running great on RH 7.1
. It only worked after the same info entered at the GUI setup was entered
manualy w/xconfigurator; go figure! But I am still to figure out how to make
the modem (3com56kV90 mini PCI)to work. Tried setserial and some other
commands w/ no success.

Anyway, here is a new question ( a long one !):
I am trying to use a script based on the BSD ac comand to check info. about
the users' logins/logouts. The script works fine.

My problem is that a few users, 5 out of 70, are not shown as logged in,
even though they are! X server is on a server in the the network and we use
dumb terminals. All terminals are setup exactly the same way. Why utmp
and/or wtmp (that's where ac gets info from, right?) are generating
incorrect data about these five users? Is there a way to "reset" the X
terminals to make sure they are "sending" correct data to the right place
(utmp/wtmp)?

The only thing I noticed, so far, is that these five users do not have a
/home/"user"/bin in their path. Coincidence?

Once again, thanks for the help

Sergio