[ale] Several problems with DLink 538TX+ network card

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Sun Jun 3 16:15:30 EDT 2001

byron at cc.gatech.edu (Byron A Jeff) Writes:

> After battling with Telocity for several months, I advised him to
> switch to cable. Of course the tech brought a new card, a Dlink 538TX,
> which works fine under windows but no joy with the Linux box.
> It's an older Slackware box running a 2.2.13 kernel. Everything else works
> find except for the silly card.
> Unfortunatly I can't use it because the cable modem is MAC address
> keyed, and I'm not going to get to New Orleans anytime soon so that I
> can be on site to rectify the situation.
> BAJ

The Linux ifconfig command can change the MAC address of almost any
NIC Ethernet card to any desired value, thus solving this tendency of
DSL and Cable ISPs to limit service to a single MAC address.  I believe
that the syntax is

     ifconfig eth0 HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Bob Toxen
transam at cavu.com                       [Bob's ALE Bulk email]