[ale] ATT Broadband and DHCP Help Requested

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Sun Jun 3 15:40:26 EDT 2001

> Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 14:19:45 -0400
> From: "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw at wittsend.com>
> To: Jeff Dilcher <dilcher at hiddenworld.net>
> Cc: "Ale at Ale.org Org" <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: Re: [ale] ATT Broadband and DHCP Help Requested

> On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 12:43:21PM -0400, Jeff Dilcher wrote:
> > Hello,

> > (Apologies if this went out a couple of days ago-
> > I have been having a bit of difficulty joining the
> > group.  I hope this hasn't been discussed recently...)

> > I am an ATT cable subscriber in Dekalb county.
> > Formerly Mediaone.

If you have trouble with those lazy morons at AT&T (IMHO), be sure to tell
them you have Winbloz95 or something BUT NOT LINUX.

When they "configured" my Cable modem account by keying in "my" MAC address
so I could not connect a second computer, they miskeyed one of the digits.
Of course they were too lazy to double check their work when they did this,
even though Indira handed the "technician" a PRINTED copy of the MAC address
of the NIC card.

Indira & I wasted the better part of a day trying to get a Customer
NOservice person to care but when we said "Linux" as our OS they refused
to even try to find a problem.  "Our drivers must be out of date was
the most technical answer we got even after asking them to escalate
the problem."

Finally, Indira said "Winbloz 95" and they checked the MAC address and found
THEIR TYPO.

(We are too far from our phone central office for decent DSL or I NEVER would
have dealt with MediaOne/AT&T.)

After this misery we usually get good bandwidth and good uptime.  We still
keep our Mindsproing account as a backup, though.

> > Thanks!!
> > Jeff
> 	Mike
> --
>  Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw at WittsEnd.com

Bob Toxen
transam at cavu.com                       [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
bob at cavu.com