[ale] Several problems with DLink 538TX+ network card

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Jun 3 15:16:57 EDT 2001

I maintain my father's Linux box remotely. After battling with Telocity
for several months, I advised him to switch to cable. Of course the tech
brought a new card, a Dlink 538TX, which works fine under windows but no
joy with the Linux box. Since he was coming up for my son's HS graduation
I asked him to bring the box so I could get it working.

Donald Becker indicates on his www.scyld.com site that this card works with
the current rtl8139.o driver. I downloaded and installed it, but I'm having
two problems:

1) I get no network/link activity on the card when I install the driver.
2) When I plug the card into my switch, one of the other boxes on my network
goes offline. Same box every time.

It's an older Slackware box running a 2.2.13 kernel. Everything else works
find except for the silly card.

The worst thing about the whole situation is that the original card in the
box was a perfectly fine rtl8139 based noname card. Unfortunatly I can't
use it because the cable modem is MAC address keyed, and I'm not going to
get to New Orleans anytime soon so that I can be on site to rectify the
situation.

Does anyone have any experience with this card or any ideas of how to
resolve my troubles with it?

BAJ