[ale] Can anyone help out a fellow ale'r???

Charles Pillsbury bfedrec at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 01:25:04 EDT 2001

I feel for you man! When amazon.com shut down their GA
facility my hunt took quite a while (and those days at
home with the family aren't very fun when the
paychecks have stopped), and the best leads seemed to
be on computerjobs.com (though some of those didn't
get updated that well, and they wouldn't always reply
very quickly), but it was Matrix Resources who found
me a contract position (for decent money and while the
job isn't particularly challenging or overly
interesting, the family is getting fed, the mortgage
is getting paid).  JustUnixJobs.com had some good
leads as well.

While they may find jobs for you, the techiegold
people who sent me on some interviews didn't seem to
be all that helpful (when i noticed them taking notes
when I did a pre-screen and they put down that I had
"Lenox" experience I was a bit worried :D ).

Though I wanted permanent work initially, contract
work is doing well for me (but I'd like to accrue some
vacation time, my 90+ hour weeks with amazon didn't
afford me a vacation, and I could use one now), and I
read recently that a study shows that while contract
pay is going down, it is still generally better than
perm pay, AND the average perm position is lasting 15
months, vs the 12 months of an average contract.

Good luck on the hunt.

Charles Pillsbury III
(king of the run-on parenthetical sentence!)

--- "James S. Cochrane" <cochrane at mindspring.com>

=== message truncated ===