[ale] Lightweight Linux with X

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Mon Jul 30 20:44:34 EDT 2001

I had a similar experience over the weekend. I'm trying to set up a 90 MHz
Pentium MMX-based notebook (24 MB RAM, 800 MB HDD, 800x600x8-bit color LCD)
as a jukebox for a friend of mine. He wanted Win98 on it, but after several
failed attempts to get the built-in trackpad to work properly, I decided to
go with a Linux-based solution.

Red Hat didn't give me grief about memory size, but it had unusually high
disk requirements (min. 256 MB swap space, 1.2 GB for a GNOME workstation),
so I took the Debian plunge (using 2.2 Potato). I had the 3 CD-ROM discs I
bought at the last Linux Showcase, so I only needed a rescue diskette and an
initial image diskette. Installation went relatively smooth (save for XFree
configuration, which isn't Debian's fault). I even had over 200 MB left over
for MP3s and such.

One problem, though, and any Debianistas out there feel free to help ... I
can't seem to figure out the Debian way for configuring a kernel module. I
wound up not selecting the SoundBlaster module during the initial install,
and now I realise I need it. But I don't see where dselect can config it,
and I don't see anything equivalent to the Red Hat sndconfig utility.

Any suggestions, besides RTFM? ;)

Thanks!