[ale] RF Interference?

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Sat Jul 28 21:50:51 EDT 2001

Hi,

I've got one of those 4 position hardware switches that lets you
share a monitor, keyboard, and mouse between four machines.  On
a couple of the boxes the X display looks hour glass shaped,
kinda gittery, as though there might be interference along the
cable connecting the display adapter to the switchbox.  Is it
possible that this inteference is causing the picture distortion
I've described?  The cables pass right next to other boxes,
sometimes touching against other boxes or cables.  Could this
cause my symptoms?  Two of the boxes seem to have no problems.

I don't think it's the XF86Config files or the adapters or the
monitor.  Either the switchbox itself or the cables are where I
suspect the problem is, but please let me know if you see any
flaws in my thinking.

What do you think?

TIA.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net