[ale] OT: stupid hardware question

djinn at djinnspace.com djinn at djinnspace.com
Sat Jul 28 02:25:53 EDT 2001

<putting on tech hat...oooh...dusty>
AT motherboards in general respond very poorly to having their keyboards removed
while powered on.  ATX, as far as I know, doesn't have this problem.
That being said, I've never had a problem with AT machines on a non-intelligent
switch...

Here's the dance I go thru, without any ill effects (AT and ATX, Belkin OmniCube
KVM and some old ABCD rotating dial KVM)...
1) select port 1 on KVM
2) power on machine attached to port 1
3) wait for POST to detect keyboard...or get all the way to a prompt and log in
if you're paranoid
4) switch to port 2 on KVM
5) power on machine attached to port 2
shake, stir, repeat

Once everything is booted and humming along, you *should* be able to switch
between them with no problems.  It's not exactly the same thing as yanking the
cable from the back of the computer.

Short answer:  power dying is a lucky (because it should've been your
motherboard) but expected consequence of removing the keyboard cable from the AT
motherboard, so don't do it again. ;)   As long as you don't yank the cable out,
you should be able to switch to your heart's content.  And I think I may have
some spare AT motherboards lying around if my advice causes a catastrophic

jenn