Free (as in beer) NICs (Was: [ale] Multi-port NIC cards?)

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 26 16:48:17 EDT 2001

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Someone might have said something on here already, but it bears repeating
> that Circuit City is having a triple rebate on the D-Link DFE-530TX 10/100
> NIC (I think that's the right model)

DFE-530TX+

Note that cards with a chip labelled "10038C" use a different
chipset (or something) than those with a chip labelled "10038",
even though they're both sold as model DFE-530TX+. I have several
of the earlier "10038" cards that I'm using with rtl8139 drivers,
but the rtl8139 driver doesn't work with the "10038C" version
on OpenBSD. I haven't tried it under Linux yet.

-- Joe

> that brings the cost to just the sales
> tax.  $19.99, $5 Instant Rebate, and two subsequent fill-out-and-mail-stuff
> rebates.
>
> I went ahead and got one in advance of a need I'm sure I'll have.
>
> - Jeff
>
> ___________________NOTICE____________________________
>
> This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information intended
> only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure
> by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you received this
> transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and then
> destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this
> message that do not relate to the official business of NIIT shall be
> understood to be neither given nor endorsed by NIIT. When addressed to NIIT
> clients, any information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms
> and conditions in the governing client contract.

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
2nd Lbl A + 1 = 2nd Pause 2nd Prt GTO 2 R/S