[ale] dns issues - internal vs external

Gary MacKay Gary at EdisonInfo.com
Thu Jul 26 10:43:18 EDT 2001

I tried the qmail list but didn't get an answer. Hopefully someone here
can  help. How do I get qmail, or sendmail for that matter, to pick up
the internal 192. addr when it sends a message to a local account? The
box that is my dns for my domain has to have the external ip setup so
the rest of the world can send me mail. Fine. Since I have an OpenBSD
firewall, which I presume is irrelevant, the internal machine can not
connect to the external ip, it fails over to the secondary mx record,
which is my old isp, which will soon go away. I tried to put the
internal ip in the /etc/hosts, added "lookup file bind" to the
/etc/resolv.conf file, neither worked. I presume qmail is doing an
actual dns lookup and getting the real info.

I just tried putting my internal ip as the secondary mx record and that
worked. But, I presume not a good solution since outside people are
going to get that also.

Suggestions?

Gary