[ale] odd question but here goes:

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Wed Jul 25 23:07:48 EDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Ned Williams wrote:
> Does anyone know of any projects to build a home security system around
> a central HA linux enviorment? I looked around over at the Linux
> automation project but did not turn up any leads. I was curious about
> feeding in motion detection,noice detection,shatter detection, perimiter
> violation, and perhaps humidity threshold alarms. I suppose if I had the
> right interfaces I could do with it mrtg but I havn't seen any MIB
> II motion detectors yet.

A bit over a year ago I looked into this.  My main question was on a
security system that would interface with another computer, other than the
controller, somehow.  I figured if I could get the information to the
computer, then the rest would be easy.

The thread can be found here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&th=26b236532681045f,6&seekm=BF50EE4455993AA2.6E72F3EC3E4C318F.4D2630B532F1A6CF%40lp.airnews.net#p

I never really did anything about it after that...and I don't remember
why.  It was either cost, or no free time!

As for the humidity, www.sensorsoft.com has some cool stuff for that.  We
just ordered the low-end serial port temperature sensor($110), but they do
have SNMP ones as well ($2100!!!)