[ale] Secure FTP?

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 25 11:10:58 EDT 2001

djinn at djinnspace.com wrote:

> Background: we have a handful of clients who require FTP access to their
> web sites hosted on our machine.   Up till now, I've used MuddleFTP for
> these people, which does a fantastic job of locking them in their home
> directories, and set their shell to /dev/null so that all they can do is
> ftp in.
> It's been working OK, and I love Muddle and think it does a superior job
> as an FTP daemon.  However, I'm  trying to do the Right Thing and
> eliminate FTP from my machine altogether and only do file transfer thru
> openSSH.   I know that there are a tiny handful of clients for Mac (non
> osX) and I can find several decent looking ones for windows, so that's
> one part of the battle won.
>
> My quandry is, my boss uses Edit+ and I've contacted the company to see
> if they support direct edit via SFTP, but I doubt they do.  Does anyone
> know of any windows and/or mac editors that basically function like
> Emacs??   If anyone has any advice either about my migration to SFTP or
> the editor question, it's much appreciated.

I am clue-free re. the Mac issue, but Gnu Emacs runs on Windows. Have
a look at <URL: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html>

Is Edit+ an Emacs work-alike? I only ask because in my experience
Emacs is a hard sell if someone is already used to another editor.

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
2nd Lbl A + 1 = 2nd Pause 2nd Prt GTO 2 R/S