[ale] Secure FTP?

djinn at djinnspace.com djinn at djinnspace.com
Tue Jul 24 23:00:48 EDT 2001

Background: we have a handful of clients who require FTP access to their
web sites hosted on our machine.   Up till now, I've used MuddleFTP for
these people, which does a fantastic job of locking them in their home
directories, and set their shell to /dev/null so that all they can do is
ftp in.
It's been working OK, and I love Muddle and think it does a superior job
as an FTP daemon.  However, I'm  trying to do the Right Thing and
eliminate FTP from my machine altogether and only do file transfer thru
openSSH.   I know that there are a tiny handful of clients for Mac (non
osX) and I can find several decent looking ones for windows, so that's
one part of the battle won.

My quandry is, my boss uses Edit+ and I've contacted the company to see
if they support direct edit via SFTP, but I doubt they do.  Does anyone
know of any windows and/or mac editors that basically function like
Emacs??   If anyone has any advice either about my migration to SFTP or
the editor question, it's much appreciated.

TIA

jenn