[ale] DMCA Protests]

Greg runman at telocity.com
Tue Jul 24 23:20:48 EDT 2001

Yes, the crime rate here in Kennesaw is the lowest in the Atlanta Metro
area...  ;-)  This is due to the fact that when I have had to call the
police twice (small things) they responded in about 3 minutes.  When I cycle
(about an hour a day) I generally see the police about 3 or more times.  The
active police, the law (yes, it is one !) about citizens being required to
own guns, and the generally anti-crime stance here and in Cobb County is the
reason for this.. Wolves only prey on sheep and not on lions.  Enforcement,
prosecution, and vigilance are the keys to security.

To extrapolate this to the IT world..   <rant warning...>   IF
cyber-criminals were locked up in the maximum security prisons for at least
5 yrs w/ parole in addition to paying damages, IF the FBI actually
prosecuted ALL cyber crime (cracking and corporate invasions of citizens
privacy) and IF the FBI were capable of knowing the technology, and IF every
person was held responsible within reason for any actions of their p.c.
(within reason i.e.... if on a DSL/cable link you had to have a firewall of
some sort and virus protection against being "used" by crackers / script
kiddies) - and this specifically includes parents of "little crackers" (try
the parents for the kid's crimes also, I mean they are allegedly responsible
for them until they are 18 years old) THEN the Internet would be a safer
place... but we seem to live in a world where accountability for one's
actions are non existent and we reward cyber criminals with high-paying jobs
in the IT business.

</rant over> In the words of John Belushi in "Animal House"... "Sorry"