[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Jul 24 06:54:40 EDT 2001

Dan Newcombe wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Wandered Inn wrote:
> > > in Charlotte, don't know about other places. Unless things have changed,
> > > you get a static ip assigned by DHCP. They seem to be pretty OS neutral,
> > > and customer service does want to help.
> > Say again? DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol???)
>
> So?
>  a) when you get an ip address, the server stores your MAC.  Next time
> you request an address, it looks to see if it has serviced you before.  If
> it finds your MAC in it's tables, and that IP is still open, it gives it
> back to you.

If, it's still available.  I personally do not know how it works, just
what I've read from the HOWTO.  If this is accurate, I would say the
HOWTO is a bit misleading, as I would not call the process you've
indicated above as 'random.'

>  b) You can setup DHCP so that a certain MAC is always given a certian IP
> address.  That way all the clients are set to use DHCP for their settings,
> and if something needs a static IP, it gets a known IP assigned to it,
> with the added bonus that if you change a dns server, wins server or
> something, you only make that change at one place and DHCP "distributes"
> it.

Understood, but I would be surprised if the isps are providing fixed
ips, as (at least BellSouth) claims that this is part of a security
issue.  If your ip is not static, then it's harder for a hacker to find
you multiple times.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein