[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Jul 24 06:40:40 EDT 2001

Jay Finch wrote:

> Any more feedback?  Any "gotchas" to keep an eye out for?

Talking ADSL here. I might not be correct on this, but when Todd set me
up, he indicated that there were, more or less three distances that are
kind of 'available speed indicators.'  My words not his, anyway, as I
recall these distances were 5000 ft, 10000 ft and 18000 ft, which seemed
to indicate to me that 18000 ft was pretty much the maximum distance,
without ifitl or isdl stuff.  Fortunately, I'm within the 5000 ft range.

Anyone know what the actual max distance is for dsl?

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/faq/1.+DSL+101#545 says idsl can be up to
50,000 ft, but that most 'isps Networking equipment and Cintrix/ATM(OC)
devices max out at around 30,000ft.'

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein