[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Tue Jul 24 06:33:51 EDT 2001

I had a really, really, really bad experience with trying to get DSL
service *even turned on* at my home.  Verizon advised me that I was
eligible, and Telocity advised that they were offering in this area, so I
ordered Telocity, because Verizon refused to even touch Linux, as I refuse
to even touch Windows (unless someone pays me).

Effectively, Verizon buggered up at every step.  They introduced an
automatic 4-week delay (in addition to the two week delivery time that
Telocity offered to the customers of other IBOC's.  This was just for
being Verizon.  This delay extended to several months.  Next, Verizon told
Telocity it was live, and telocity sent the modem.  It didn't sync.
Finally, after two more weeks of bitching, Verizon got it hooked to
something and it synced, but wouldn't talk.  It stayed this way for a
couple more months.

When I finally got sick of flying into a nightly rage at Verizon, I called
up the cable company.  They promised delivery in 5 days.  The met this
promise by delivering in four.  I have been extremely pleased with this
service ever since.  I have had one outage, which was the result of a
lightning strike on one of their CO's.  It was rectified in two hours.

Obviously, your situation differs from mine.  First, you already have
broadband.  Second, your broadband is the source of your frustration.  In
my case, the fact that I had to wait forever for things to download was
the source of my frustration.  I would certainly keep the pressure on the
cable company to keep the connection up.  Keep a log of when it goes down.
Call it in *each and every* time it goes down.  Each time you call it in,
bore the operator with a list of other outages.  Make sure your account
gets the "handle with kid gloves" flag set.  Read your user agreement and
see if there is any guarantee (probably not) about outages.  Look for
ways, in other words, to get them to do their job.

Does your cable TV go out every time it rains, too?

glasher at nycap.rr.com
After 163 days, Verizon still couln't deliver Telocity DSL.