[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Greg runman at telocity.com
Mon Jul 23 22:50:27 EDT 2001

I am paying $45 / month for telocity DSL with a fixed IP.  For $10 more you
can have a NAT type firewall and connection sharing for the whole house to
enjoy.  Until I got my server up I used that and it was fine.  Only an
occasional interruption that a re-boot would fix, BUT TO BE FAIR.. I this
was an all MS household then.  Telocity will answer questions about Linux
and I always got some one who was competent in a reasonably fast time.

The modem / router was easy to set up and all of the "fixin's"  - DSL
adapters for the phones - where in working order. If you have Bell South DSL
eligibility, then you can get Telocity DSL service, since I am using Bell's
lines.  I used to have DSL with Mindspring and it was ok until the merger
with Earthlink...... hmm.. <rant on competition>... When I looked at getting
a fixed IP from Earthlink it was about $145.00.....guess they saw the light
and came down.. Also the Earthlink service was about 50% as good as
Mindspring's service.

Good Luck