[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Jul 23 21:02:26 EDT 2001

I'm coming up on 18 months with the former Telocity, now
(?) DirectStatelite or some such hokum. Price & speed are pretty good here
in Charlotte, don't know about other places. Unless things have changed,
you get a static ip assigned by DHCP. They seem to be pretty OS neutral,
and customer service does want to help.

Two negative issues I have are 1) I have to power cycle the dsl-router to
bring myself back on line something like once a month and 2) customer
support has had its ups and downs since I joined up.

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Jay Finch wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I know this question has been asked a million and one times, but being that
> the technology has changed so much in the past few months and I'm only now
> becoming concerned with it, I wanted some opinions.
>
> I've been a Charter Comm. Cable Modem subscriber for about 3 years now, and
> have had pretty good service.  It's been fairly peppy, but I hate how it
> goes down when it rains (without fail) and other weird routing and downtime
> issues.  I just got a notice from BellSouth that I'm (finally!) eligible
> for DSL service.
>
> What I want to know is this: How reliable is DSL vs. Cable?  What about the
> speeds?  (I generally get 1.5MB download and 128k upload on Cable fairly
> consistently, depending on I-net traffic.)
>
> Additionally, I'm using a Linux box as my firewall/gateway, and I have a
> Static IP with Charter right now.  I know that Mindspring & Bellsouth both
> use PPPoE with DHCP as a standard, but Mindspring offers a Static IP for
> $15 extra a month.
>
> I want a static IP.  From y'alls experience: Do Mindspring and Bellsouth
> refresh their IPs often enough to warrant asking for a static one?  (I have
> several DNS mappings to my home machine right now.)
>
> And finally, I know that neither "support" Linux -- I know my stuff fairly
> well in getting a box configured, but how much of a bear is it to configure
> for DSL vs. Cable?  (And is there a "better" DSL ISP for Linux? I'm trying
> to keep my costs around $50-$60/month, which is what I'm paying for my
> Cable Modem right now.)
>
> Thanks in advance for y'alls help.  :~)
>
> Cheers!
> Jay